Saturday, July 2, 2011

Revisiting Granite Mountain

Saturday, July 2, 2011
Distance: 8.6 Miles Round trip
Elevation Gain: 3800 ft


It was the long weekend of 4th of July with the Monday being the holiday. Excellent weather was in forecast. And I have not gone hiking for a while (not counting a short trip to Poo Poo Point the previous weekend). So I wanted to make the most of this first nice day of the Summer by visiting some place good. I thought about Granite Mountain Lookout which I visited two years ago. There were other options at the trail head of hiking to several lakes which falls under the category of "Family Friendly". But that day I was  inclined to go for a more rigorous workout. Granite Mountain Trail at 8 miles round trip and 3800 elevation gain provided just that. 

As expected of a long holiday weekend with such excellent weather condition, the trail head barely had any parking spot left. I was in fact lucky to arrive late around 1 pm by which time a couple of the early hikers returned already and left to open up a space for me. You would need a NW Forest Parking Pass to park at this trail head and half miles beyond. I noticed some parked outside of that jurisdiction so I presumed the included some casual hiking enthusiasts as well.

Midway through the trail length, I realized that the fact that hiking late in the day makes it more arduous compared to starting early on the day when the air is cooler and feels so much more soothing. About the same time I caught up company with a group of two guys and two gals. The guys one of the couple seemed to be frequent visitors to these mountains while the other two, I learnt has moved to the Northwest recently and having their first taste of mountain hiking in the Snoqualmie pass area. We continued together thereafter on the snow clad segment of the trail until reaching the Lookout at the top. 



Unlike my last visit to this lookout in 2009, this time it was accessible because Brad who is a volunteer ranger serving the United States Forest Service (USFS) was manning the lookout for the weekend. He signs up for this service because he loves nature and likes to "Entertain" hikers coming out there. He stays overnight during the weekend. Actually looking out for fires is the other prime responsibility for the rangers. Brad's daughter is also a hiking enthusiast, who also spent the previous night in lookout and at the moment was out on a hike to the Talapus Lake located at the western precipice of the Granite Mountain peak. She was expected to be back at the lookout later that afternoon. 

I realized that my outlook about hiking/climbing has changed over last few years. I used to keep time, trying to get to the top and back as fast as I could. Somehow I do not feel that urge anymore. In fact, I am starting to take it slow and enjoying the journey more than just getting to the destination. How the solitude of nature makes it easier to get a different perspective! Or are the passing years of life the reason for that?

More Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment